Elderflower Cordial – a great summer drink either serve with iced water or great in a Gin & Tonic
- Mixing Bowl
- Cover for bowl
- Straining bag or kit
- Measuring Jug
- Gin Glasses!!
Equipment needed all available in shop.
- 20 heads of Elderflower
- 2.5 kg Sugar
- 85g Citric Acid (from chemist)
- 2 unwaxed Lemons
- 2 pints Water
- Pick 20 elderflower heads from trees on a sunny day!
- Dissolve sugar in water over low heat on hob – pour into mixing bowl and allow to cool
- Zest lemons using canal part of zester then slice into rounds
- Put lemons, elderflower heads, citric acid into the sugar solution and stir gently. Cover and leave overnight to infuse.
- Pour through straining kit over over large measuring jug.
- Allow liquid to drip through bag – do not push it through (2 hrs at least)
- Pour Cordial into sterilised bottles through funnel and seal. Label and store in a dark cool place.
Use within 3 months. Once opened keep stored in fridge.
NB The cordial can be frozen in plastic bottles.
Enjoy diluted with iced water still or sparkling or use a small amount with Gin & Tonic, Prosecco or Wine!